The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 26 Jun 2017, 08:50

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

Post subject: Dream Interpretation
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2008, 00:17 
First Circle Initiate

Anyone know much about this? This is about a personal dream of mine, but it would be cool if it became a general dream interpretation thread for others if we have people who can interpret dreams and people who want to have their dreams interpreted.

My weird dream last night:

I'm a young person, maybe 10-14, I'm not sure, I just know I was a child in the dream. I'm among a tribe of people, kind of old world like an American tribe pre-Columbus or an older prehistoric tribe. The whole tribe is running from something, I'm not sure what. They run up against a cliff, not real high, but dangerous looking. Below is the sea, there are some large flat rocks below, somewhat dangerous to leap into, but it looks like it can be done. The adults are all leaping into it, but some have stopped to pick up the children and throw them into the sea. Whatever it is that is chasing us is dangerous enough to take the leap, and everyone's doing it.

I'm a kid in the dream, as I said, and one of the men who is picking up children and throwing them into the sea comes up to me to do the same. Mentally I'm thinking, "No way, bud", and wave my hands to keep him away from me, thinking I'd be better off taking the leap myself to avoid the rocks rather than trusting this guy. It gets a little odd here: instead of jumping in, I reach down as the adults are doing to lift and throw myself, and as I release, I realize that I'm still standing on the rocks of the cliff. I don't realize at this point who it was that I threw in, but I go ahead and jump in now and land safely in the water.

In the water my youngest daughter, who is nine years old, swims over to me and I realize it's her that I threw in. She's with my wife and she has no face (my daughter), but I know it's her. I'm a little put off in the dream that she has no face, but she begins talking to me about something I can't remember, and I'm content in the knowledge that it's her even though she has no face (yes, she's talking without a mouth).

I woke up at this point, and I don't remember my dreams often, but this seemed somehow important to my semi-conscious mind, and I made the effort to recount it to myself before nodding back to sleep, which I assume is why I've remembered it.

Fun dream huh?

{eta} I almost forgot to mention that the entire dream was very bright and vivid, no darkness or fear or dull edges around things. The day was bright and sunny and the sea was blue and pretty. My daughter's face for instance, was very fleshy in its facelessness, not hazed out or anything.

Post subject: Re: Dream Interpretation
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2008, 10:40 
First Circle Initiate

Quote:
Whatever it is that is chasing us is dangerous enough to take the leap, and everyone's doing it.

Quote:
almost forgot to mention that the entire dream was very bright and vivid, no darkness or fear or dull edges around things.

(emphasis mine)

These two items, taken together, suggest to me that the initial scenario of the dream is not really important; it's just there to set up the situation. Like using a historical war as the backdrop for a story that's really about two people falling in love.

The leap from a cliff into the sea could represent a descent from the conscious mind into the subconscious. What's really interesting is that before you assay to make the leap, you are one person, a child older than your daughter, but significantly younger than yourself, and the act of leaping/throwing produces two people: your daughter and yourself.

The fact that your daughter has no face seems to be particularly significant. Just off the cuff, I can come up with two possible interpretations:

1. Your faceless daughter represents your Inner Child/anima. In trying to throw yourself off the cliff, you wound up throwing only her...but you were then able to jump, and afterward, she spoke to you. You do not have direct access to your own subconscious mind, but by taking hold of your own youthful or feminine nature, you will be able to reach it. This may be because our culture codes intuition as female and discourages men from being intuitive themselves.

2. You see a lot of yourself in your daughter--so much so, in fact, that if you "take yourself out of her," she will have no identity left that you can recognize. At least subconsciously, you do not acknowledge that she is her own person, separate from you.

Does either of these interpretations seem to fit?

--Me

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2008, 12:55 
First Circle Initiate

Karalora wrote:
Quote:
Whatever it is that is chasing us is dangerous enough to take the leap, and everyone's doing it.

Quote:
almost forgot to mention that the entire dream was very bright and vivid, no darkness or fear or dull edges around things.

(emphasis mine)

These two items, taken together, suggest to me that the initial scenario of the dream is not really important; it's just there to set up the situation. Like using a historical war as the backdrop for a story that's really about two people falling in love.

That seems to describe it perfectly, I wasn't really personally involved in the backdrop, wasn't really feeling the fear of whatever the tribe was running from, I simply knew I had to make the leap as everyone else did. It definitely seemed like more of a backdrop to a short story.

Karalora wrote:
The leap from a cliff into the sea could represent a descent from the conscious mind into the subconscious. What's really interesting is that before you assay to make the leap, you are one person, a child older than your daughter, but significantly younger than yourself, and the act of leaping/throwing produces two people: your daughter and yourself.

The fact that your daughter has no face seems to be particularly significant. Just off the cuff, I can come up with two possible interpretations:

1. Your faceless daughter represents your Inner Child/anima. In trying to throw yourself off the cliff, you wound up throwing only her...but you were then able to jump, and afterward, she spoke to you. You do not have direct access to your own subconscious mind, but by taking hold of your own youthful or feminine nature, you will be able to reach it. This may be because our culture codes intuition as female and discourages men from being intuitive themselves.

2. You see a lot of yourself in your daughter--so much so, in fact, that if you "take yourself out of her," she will have no identity left that you can recognize. At least subconsciously, you do not acknowledge that she is her own person, separate from you.

Does either of these interpretations seem to fit?

Thanks for taking a crack at my dream :) I don't have a definite yes or no answer, but I'll respond to how the interpretations seem to me. #2 doesn't seem to work well for me, because I definitely see a lot more of my mother and wife in her than I see myself in her, but that's consciously and maybe subconsciously it's different. #1 seems closer to me, as I was thinking sort of along those lines, but oddly enough I was feeling that the leap was reversed from the usual leap from conscious to subconscious. I'm kind of working this out as I think of what your first interpretation is along with my feeling of it being reversed. There's a lot of mental illness in my family, particularly with my mother, and saying that my daughter reminds me a lot of her is saying ... well that's kind of difficult to say because I think a mind like that is different depending on whether it has been brought up in a loving home as opposed to an abusive one.

So, reversing it and including the idea of mental illness, I'm seeing her sort of losing her identity as I am throwing her into the life and society that everyone else is living. I have made every effort I can see as reasonable, to remove my children from the situation which I grew up in, and am trying to give them happy lives where they know they can do anything they want to in life. But growing up with so much of it myself, I still carry irrational fears which keep me from taking that leap myself. Everyone's identity that I grew up with was strongly connected to these issues of mental illness and abuse, so throwing my children from this history into the world that everyone else lives in may make me think of her losing her identity.

Hmm.. after what you said, maybe the dream is me seeing myself take more of that leap myself after my children have successfully done it.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2008, 15:43 
First Circle Initiate

Glad to be of help. To be honest, I don't have a whole lot of experience in dream interpretation, but yours seemed to have a lot of potent symbolism that cried out for me to examine.

Ultimately, of course, only you can determine what your own dreams mean, since they come from your own mind. Even elements that are often described as "universal" symbols can be appropriated for very personal and idiosyncratic meanings...not to mention all the garbage from daily experiences and pop culture that gets stirred into the mix. (I can't count the number of times I've had a dream that would probably seem very profoundly symbolic to a therapist...but it was just a rehash of part of a video game I played earlier in the week.)

--Me