The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 00:02

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

Post subject: Awareness of experience
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 01:06 
First Circle Initiate

Do we need to focus on what we are doing in order to experience it? For example, if we are daydreaming while driving, is the experience of driving permanently lost to us? Or is it still available in our memory banks for subsequent access?

The context of the question is ordinary daily living. I’m not interested in whether we can access the information via hypnosis and other such techniques.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 07:38 
Neighbor of the Beast

I tend to believe the "Zone out" factor is our brain simply choosing not to store something in long term memory. Therefore, when one "Zone's Out" they would not later have the ability to remember something. It would be possible to "rebuild" a memory from bits an pieces but it would not be true recall...

IMnsHO

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 11:07 
Grand Poobah

I dunno--- my experience is that things go on a 'back burner'.

Many times, while doing something else, my brain keeps working on a problem or situation and pops an answer out. I'm not sure everything needs to be played on the screen of our conscienceness for us to be 'thinking' about it. Some stuff works out without our knowing.

Like, at 3am when you finally remember that word you were looking for?

Anyone who has 'walked away from a problem' for a while and come back with a solution would tell you that you do not need to 'focus' all the time to be thinking of it.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 00:38 
First Circle Initiate

HavenMage wrote:
It would be possible to "rebuild" a memory from bits an pieces but it would not be true recall...

What do you mean by rebuilding the memory from bits and pieces?

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 00:41 
First Circle Initiate

jess wrote:
I dunno--- my experience is that things go on a 'back burner'.

Many times, while doing something else, my brain keeps working on a problem or situation and pops an answer out. I'm not sure everything needs to be played on the screen of our conscienceness for us to be 'thinking' about it. Some stuff works out without our knowing.

Like, at 3am when you finally remember that word you were looking for?

Anyone who has 'walked away from a problem' for a while and come back with a solution would tell you that you do not need to 'focus' all the time to be thinking of it.

This is not really what I’m asking. The question is not whether we can accomplish things without being consciously aware of doing so, but whether we can experience accomplishing them without being consciously aware of doing so.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 08:58 
Grand Poobah

Quote:
we can experience accomplishing them without being consciously aware of doing so.

I guess it depends--- if you include conscious as part of the definition of experience, then of course not.

But I would think that you could experience something without registering it at the time.

But that's not the same thing as experiencing something as a full experience.

So, I guess, going to a concert, closign your eyes and listening to the music is a 'higher' level of experience than throwing in a CD, reading email and eating lunch is.

But both of them will add to the sum value of what and who you are.

Is that better? :dontknow:

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2008, 09:31 
Neighbor of the Beast

From 7th to 12th grade I did not ride a bus to get to school. I walked to two different schools. Many times I would simply walk out of my house and arrive at the school 20 minutes later without actually experiencing the walk. I would zone out. (I really enjoyed that because the walks were quite BORING). Now I could assemble little bits and pieces, scraps of memory, to recall what that walk was like, but it would not really be the out and out memory. Some of the scraps would be inferred memories based on the many, many times I had already done this. Others would be supposition, I arrived safely, so I must have crossed the road at that major intersection with the light...

That is what I mean by bits and pieces. I experienced it. I was there. I arrived at my destination, but I have no recall of it...

If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one there to hear it...

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2008, 00:50 
First Circle Initiate

jess wrote:
I guess it depends--- if you include conscious as part of the definition of experience, then of course not.

I would include either conscious awareness of it, or its memory, in the definition of experience. So experiencing something without registering it at the time or recalling it later on wouldn’t really qualify as experiencing it.

jess wrote:
But that's not the same thing as experiencing something as a full experience.

So, I guess, going to a concert, closign your eyes and listening to the music is a 'higher' level of experience than throwing in a CD, reading email and eating lunch is.

But both of them will add to the sum value of what and who you are.

Is that better? :dontknow:

It makes sense, but it’s not really what I’m after.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2008, 00:51 
First Circle Initiate

HavenMage wrote:
From 7th to 12th grade I did not ride a bus to get to school. I walked to two different schools. Many times I would simply walk out of my house and arrive at the school 20 minutes later without actually experiencing the walk. I would zone out. (I really enjoyed that because the walks were quite BORING). Now I could assemble little bits and pieces, scraps of memory, to recall what that walk was like, but it would not really be the out and out memory. Some of the scraps would be inferred memories based on the many, many times I had already done this. Others would be supposition, I arrived safely, so I must have crossed the road at that major intersection with the light...

That is what I mean by bits and pieces. I experienced it. I was there. I arrived at my destination, but I have no recall of it...

Thanks. That helps.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2008, 21:00 
First Circle Initiate

Zoning out no matter if there is motor type activity or not is considered a form of meditation, in a way I consider this a healthy thing to do, it assists in the economy of daily brain usage. Sleep I consider a good thing in the same respect.