The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 14:14

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

Post subject: Divination
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2007, 07:55 
Postess

Anyone here divinate?
I've tried palms, birthdates, numbers, cards, stones, blah, blah, blah.... I've been told that everyone is pyschic to a degree but using a tool or "divination on demand" doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe I don't work with them enough? I dunno.
I do have prophetical dreams/visions but, of course, I don't know they're true until after the fact :cussing: Fat lot of good it does me then.

A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2007, 09:26 
Neighbor of the Beast

I once read a book that took a persons astrological signs in both the western and eastern traditions and did a reading on them. (I am a cancer/earth monkey) It was surprisingly well done, accurate is so far as such generalizations go. Does that count?

I think you need to have a form that you deeply respect, understand on a non-conscious level, and have a knack for. It really is an interpretive skill given that so many meanings can come from the same thing...

I listen to what my subconscious tells me in dreams. I don't think of them in "prophetic" terms so much as in terms of "cautionary tales"...they often reveal when and why I may be nervous about things, things I have neglected, and things I need to do more thinking about. Takes some doing to understand the imagery though, and I think it is easier to interpret your own dreams since the symbols are often so personal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007, 00:59 
Banished to the Void

I use Tarot and the Fairies Oracle deck by Broud. I've dabbled with Elder Futhark runes, but don't really feel comfortable with them. I'm not so good with readings for myself, but other folks have been fairly well pleased with most of the readings I've done for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007, 01:21 
First Circle Initiate

I have weird dreams but rarely about the future.

i have about 30 decks of tarot cards but its been a while since i've played with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007, 01:33 
Banished to the Void

Brianna wrote:

i have about 30 decks of tarot cards but its been a while since i've played with them.

Which are your favorites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007, 21:49 
First Circle Initiate

The Goddess Tarot and a round deck I can't remember the name of right now. It's not the mother peace tarot.

I also just like the Rider Waite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007, 23:14 
Banished to the Void

Which Goddess Tarot? I think there are two. I have a small-card version of Kris Waldherr's Goddess Tarot. I like it for meditation, but I've never done a reading with it. If I ever get around to buying the regular size version I'd probably at least try a few spreads.

My favorites for readings are Tarot De Paris and Druidcraft.

And Fairies Oracle. I can't get over how well that deck clicks for me.

I think I have about 25 decks altogether. Mostly Tarot, along with a couple of oracle decks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007, 23:38 
First Circle Initiate

http://www.artandwords.com/goddesses/bog/excerpt01.html

this one :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 00:17 
Banished to the Void

Ah. Same one. I was going to post a link, but I'm not old enough. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 07:47 
Postess

HavenMage wrote:
I once read a book that took a persons astrological signs in both the western and eastern traditions and did a reading on them. (I am a cancer/earth monkey) It was surprisingly well done, accurate is so far as such generalizations go. Does that count?

I think you need to have a form that you deeply respect, understand on a non-conscious level, and have a knack for. It really is an interpretive skill given that so many meanings can come from the same thing...

I listen to what my subconscious tells me in dreams. I don't think of them in "prophetic" terms so much as in terms of "cautionary tales"...they often reveal when and why I may be nervous about things, things I have neglected, and things I need to do more thinking about. Takes some doing to understand the imagery though, and I think it is easier to interpret your own dreams since the symbols are often so personal...

I've had what I would definitely consider prophetic dreams/visions/feelings/whatever but like I said, I didn't realize that until after the fact.

I got a phone call from my father that my oldest brother had died. I went upstairs to get my mother & when she got to the phone my father had hung up. She called him & he said that my brother was sick, something neither my mother nor I knew & he said that he didn't call us. Three days later my brother died.

I dreamed (that word just doesn't look right :angry5: ) I was talking to my grandmother (who I hadn't talked to or even thought of in I don't know how long) in a cemetery. We were having a nice picnic lunch & basically just enjoying the day. I don't remember what we spoke about. Either the next morning or the morning after that my father called (she was his mother) to tell us that she had died the night I dreamed about her.

I had a dream about finding a little black & white kitten, practically a newborn, in the gutter. It was so vivid I actually expected there to be a kitten in my home when I woke up. When I got to work I told someone there about it & I got some very strange looks & then 1 of the women pointed to a little box on the floor. It had in it a tiny black & white kitten that she had found in the street in front of work.

The night I was mugged I almost called work a couple of times to have someone come pick me up but talked myself out of it. One of the times I even dialed work but hung up before anyone answered.

Those are the incidents that immediately come to mind.

I've got a dwarf and I'm not afraid to use it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 07:56 
Postess

Brianna wrote:

I used to have odd ends of a bunch of tarot decks from work, I used to work in an occult store. People would open packages & cards would sometimes get lost from decks. I made my own deck from those bits that I liked a lot but no longer have :cry:

I've got a dwarf and I'm not afraid to use it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 10:11 
Grand Poobah

My ex got me the Dali deck shortly before we broke up.

I mena, he ordered it and paid for it when we were going strong,a dn six months later, the guy att he store handed it to me.

I kept it. :lol:

I need to post more later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 18:17 
Neighbor of the Beast

I am speaking from hearsay on this matter, so I do not know if this is truth or no, but I have heard that if you want to get accurate divinations, you need to be attuned to the tarot deck/runes/bones etc. This may explain why a person that has tried divinations has not been successful, not have a link to the method used.

Those persons that seem to be best at this sort of thing have always, in my admittedly limited observations, had a favorite deck or a set of runes that they felt were the "best".

Of course, I have also seen this amongst old school table-top RPG players with regards to their dice as well, so who knows.... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 19:14 
Grand Poobah

I was taught that it's not the tool, it's the reader.

A person with talent would be able to read, not knowing anything about the tool.

The only thing that makes me not disbelieve is Hex's runes. They have been, for years, my last vestige that the supernatural is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 19:33 
Banished to the Void

I think it helps if the symbolism is sympatico for the reader, and to some extent for the querant, too, especially if it's a face to face reading. I mostly stick with Druidcraft and Tarot de Paris now. The Paris deck's visual symbolism is fairly neutral. It's the deck I usually use when a Christian or agnostic asks for a reading.

I remember doing a reading for a good friend who was coming to the conclusion that her marriage had no future. I didn't want to believe it. She was ready to believe it and think about what next.

I did a reading for her, and I put every card in it's most hopeful light, in terms of what I hoped for them. She knew enough about the cards (and about me) to see what else was there to read.

We talked about it about 6 months after the dust settled. It would have been an accurate and helpful reading if I hadn't insisted on the cards being what I wanted to see.

It was quite the lesson in detachment.