The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 00:09

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 22:46 
First Circle Initiate

Hex wrote:
But I'm open to
Brianna wrote:
Garnet wrote:
Hex, I would like a general reading if you wouldn't mind. If you need a picture, I will send you one in PM.

I don't think he uses one but i could be wrong...

Well ... In all honestly, I'd like to have one to concentrate on, but for the purposes of this thread, I'll decline (Unless you -really- want to send it. I never mind looking at pretty women ... :leer: ) ...

In the 'skeptical' aspect of this, I'm trying to do as cold a reading as I can here, because I'm truly interested in how well this stuff works in a more scientific context.

As I write the post though, I wonder whether or not a picture would invalidate the 'cold' reading. I'm not sure. :dontknow:

What do you guys think?

(Either way I'll do a reading for you Garnet, though it might be next-week-ish, since we're going away over the weekend ...)

for cold, you were pretty warm. it didn't really tell me anything i already don't know though. :)

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 22:57 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

Well ... Sometimes it seems like the readings just give ... perspective, I guess.

Like you get to step away form the 'here and now' and move into the 'big picture' view, which in itself can be very helpful as you have to assess how many of those 'forces' involved in where you are can be harnessed or changed by you.

But yeah, sometimes it's not so good for answering questions.

Ralph Blum proposed that you could use the runes for yes/no questions by drawing one out of the bag and seeing if it were reversed or not. :roll: I'm not a big fan of that.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 23:23 

Otter wrote:
okay hex found the correct thread..
I will put some thought into the question, as I know its just as much as how the question(s) are asked as far as general or specific....do I need to post it here or pm?

As far as reading goes myself, I think its harder to read for yourself than for someone else, due to the nature of the ego.

Otter -

If you're still interested in having a reading (I know it's been a long while) post your question here and I'll get to it as soon as I can ...

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2009, 03:37 
Postess

Hex wrote:
Well ... Sometimes it seems like the readings just give ... perspective, I guess.

Like you get to step away form the 'here and now' and move into the 'big picture' view, which in itself can be very helpful as you have to assess how many of those 'forces' involved in where you are can be harnessed or changed by you.

But yeah, sometimes it's not so good for answering questions.

Ralph Blum proposed that you could use the runes for yes/no questions by drawing one out of the bag and seeing if it were reversed or not. :roll: I'm not a big fan of that.

That was what mine was.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2009, 11:54 
First Circle Initiate

Hex wrote:
But I'm open to
Brianna wrote:
Garnet wrote:
Hex, I would like a general reading if you wouldn't mind. If you need a picture, I will send you one in PM.

I don't think he uses one but i could be wrong...

Well ... In all honestly, I'd like to have one to concentrate on, but for the purposes of this thread, I'll decline (Unless you -really- want to send it. I never mind looking at pretty women ... :leer: ) ...

In the 'skeptical' aspect of this, I'm trying to do as cold a reading as I can here, because I'm truly interested in how well this stuff works in a more scientific context.

As I write the post though, I wonder whether or not a picture would invalidate the 'cold' reading. I'm not sure. :dontknow:

What do you guys think?

(Either way I'll do a reading for you Garnet, though it might be next-week-ish, since we're going away over the weekend ...)

No picture then. I ain't a pretty woman anyway so no loss. :cheeky: Take your time, Hex. I'm doing this mostly out of curiousity. I think doing a reading for me is about as cold as you can get. You really don't know that much about me so I might be a good candidate for what you're trying to do.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2009, 12:00 

:thumbright:

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2009, 22:23 

Okay, Garnet, this was a weird one ...

There were only two runes 'in play' and six surrounding. I say this is weird because I usually get just 2 or 3 outside and 4 or more in the main area. Also, the two runes of yours that fell in designated realms both fell into the same realm, that of crisis or change, and, even more interesting, they interact ...

Long Story Short: It's up to you to use your brain wisely to navigate your good and bad situation ...

Long Story Long:

Well, all there is in the field are Mannaz (Human Being) and Gebo (Gift, Generosity) which both reside in the realm of Jötunheimr, the realm of things that confuse, lead to crisis, or are pressing for change. Mannaz, in the upright configuration, represents intelligence, awareness, social order, and imagination. In this realm, though, this stuff becomes a bit of an edge of make-or-break. This is important because it acts directly on Gebo, that in it's reversed positioning, represents dependence, over-sacrifice, and suffering.

This interaction is, in my view, odd. What I get is that you're in a situation where your intelligence or cunning could directly impact on your suffering. Or, perhaps, through the use of your awareness you can overcome your dependence, or perhaps, you might over-extend yourself ...

In trying to make sense of all this, we can see if there are themes that can help in those 'outside' runes.

Othala (Ancestral Property, Homeland) is in it's upright position, representing a home, group prosperity/order, freedom, or possessions, and Jera (Harvests, (Good) Year) represents reward peace, and plenty. These are two very nice runes with positive aspects that seem like you have a nice situation overall.

However, Halgaz (Hail(-stone)) in it's reversed position, represents more of catastrophe, (uncontrolled) crisis,
and loss of power. Likewise, Wunjo (Joy, Pleasure), also in the reversed position, indicates some sorrow, strife, or alienation. Pertho (Lot-Cup, Evolutionary Force) reversed indicates some aspects of malaise or stagnation, and Dagaz (Day, Dawn/Twilight) reversed points toward hopelessness and boredom. In here, it looks like there may be some issues of a lack of moving forward, and perhaps even a lack of drive or interest in doing so.

Now, these outside aspects are minor effects, but they can build into the larger scheme. You're in a good position, but you're in a situation where you're perhaps not getting out enough, or putting enough energy into doing things, maybe because you don't see any positive payoff. Which is not to say that you don't have the ability to overcome it, it's more likely just a question of whether you'll be able to put forth the energy without either overextending yourself or finding yourself in a situation where you owe someone -way- too much.

View of the rune worksheet here:
Hidden: :

Let me know what you think! :wave:

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2009, 12:51 
First Circle Initiate

Interesting. I'm on break at work right now so I don't have time to write a long reply.

But I will tonight. Short story, this actually makes sense to me.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2009, 15:03 
First Circle Initiate

Hex wrote:
Okay, Garnet, this was a weird one ...

There were only two runes 'in play' and six surrounding. I say this is weird because I usually get just 2 or 3 outside and 4 or more in the main area. Also, the two runes of yours that fell in designated realms both fell into the same realm, that of crisis or change, and, even more interesting, they interact ...

Long Story Short: It's up to you to use your brain wisely to navigate your good and bad situation ...

Story of my life. Both the weirdness and it being up to me to use my brain. I've always been just a shade off plumb.

Quote:
Long Story Long:

Well, all there is in the field are Mannaz (Human Being) and Gebo (Gift, Generosity) which both reside in the realm of Jötunheimr, the realm of things that confuse, lead to crisis, or are pressing for change. Mannaz, in the upright configuration, represents intelligence, awareness, social order, and imagination. In this realm, though, this stuff becomes a bit of an edge of make-or-break. This is important because it acts directly on Gebo, that in it's reversed positioning, represents dependence, over-sacrifice, and suffering.

This interaction is, in my view, odd. What I get is that you're in a situation where your intelligence or cunning could directly impact on your suffering. Or, perhaps, through the use of your awareness you can overcome your dependence, or perhaps, you might over-extend yourself ...

In trying to make sense of all this, we can see if there are themes that can help in those 'outside' runes.

The past 8 years have been chock full of unheaval and major changes due to decisions that I've made about my employment. These decisions have pushed us into bankruptcy and to the brink of homelessness. Recently, however, I'm in a job that I truly enjoy back, doing well financially and we are settled into a town that we like. Nevertheless, the past 8 years have taught me that nothing is certain or safe. I'm a business analyst so my job is mostly about using my brain.

Quote:
Othala (Ancestral Property, Homeland) is in it's upright position, representing a home, group prosperity/order, freedom, or possessions, and Jera (Harvests, (Good) Year) represents reward peace, and plenty. These are two very nice runes with positive aspects that seem like you have a nice situation overall.

This is my current situation. We are living in a place we like and enjoying ourselves again.

Quote:
However, Halgaz (Hail(-stone)) in it's reversed position, represents more of catastrophe, (uncontrolled) crisis,
and loss of power. Likewise, Wunjo (Joy, Pleasure), also in the reversed position, indicates some sorrow, strife, or alienation. Pertho (Lot-Cup, Evolutionary Force) reversed indicates some aspects of malaise or stagnation, and Dagaz (Day, Dawn/Twilight) reversed points toward hopelessness and boredom. In here, it looks like there may be some issues of a lack of moving forward, and perhaps even a lack of drive or interest in doing so.

My mother died two years ago. I am having a lot of trouble moving on from that. In addition, I've lived long enough to know that crisis always looms just around the corner. I just never know what form it's going to take.

Quote:
Now, these outside aspects are minor effects, but they can build into the larger scheme. You're in a good position, but you're in a situation where you're perhaps not getting out enough, or putting enough energy into doing things, maybe because you don't see any positive payoff. Which is not to say that you don't have the ability to overcome it, it's more likely just a question of whether you'll be able to put forth the energy without either overextending yourself or finding yourself in a situation where you owe someone -way- too much.

View of the rune worksheet here:
Hidden: :

Let me know what you think! :wave:

I have a bad habit of procrastinating until things get bad, pushing myself too hard to fix it and then paying the piper for it. The most recent example is that I've fucked up my knees doing a household chore that I'd put off for 6 weeks. End result? Weeks of pain and fretting, a handicapped placard for my car (temporary...my knees are getting better) and yet another re-evaluation of my diminishing physical capabilities and what to do about them. I need to exercise, change my diet and lose weight. I find myself almost pathologically incapable of doing so. Therein lies the reluctance...

Now, here's what I think about readings in general. Please know that I am a strong atheist who does not believe in anything supernatural.

I think readings, whether rune or tarot or bull innards can be useful.

Readings can cause people to think about themselves and their situations in different ways. They can bring things that have been rolling around in a person's sub-conscious up to the surface to be poked at and examined. I've had several kinds of readings throughout my life and with one exception, they've all been general enough that I've had to reach for meanings. And that's ok because they all cause me to do be introspective for a little bit. Something I don't tend to do very well or very often.

The one exception to that kind of general result were the Tarot readings that MT and I had done for fun while we were on vacation in California. The man who did our readings made it plain through costume, manner and literally, the signs on the wall that he was an entertainer. We watched as he did readings for other people. He put on quite the show! He was too young for Vaudeville, but he would have done well there. MT and I sit down for our readings. MT was first It was all fun and glitter until he laid the cards down. His entire manner changed, which we thought was part of the show. He became serious and thoughtful, and looked from MT to the cards, the cards to MT. I shan't repeat what was said, that's MT's business, but he accurately and specifically said some things about MT's past and how that affected his future. When MT's reading was over, he spoke quietly and seriously to him for a few minutes. I couldn't hear what was said, nor do I want to know what was said. All I will say is that MT was impressed and that ain't easy.

So comes my turn. He went back to hamming it up. It was all glitter and fun until he laid the cards on the table. Once again, he became serious and thoughtful. He looked at me and very quietly made four remarkably specific predictions. Three of them have come true. After our readings, he closed shop for the night...some two hours earlier than he normally did.

I understand that there are explanations for this that have nothing to do with the supernatural. And I tend towards some of them, particularly those explanations dealing with self fulfilling prophecies and confirmation bias. I still don't know how he did it or why his demeanor changed from the consumate show man to being serious and thoughful. That could well have been part of the show...or a bad case of gas. Regardless, it was certainly interesting.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2009, 15:43 
First Circle Initiate

By the way, I just realized that I've thought this but I haven't said it...

Thank you for doing this reading for me, Hex. :)

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2009, 17:44 

Garnet wrote:
The one exception to that kind of general result were the Tarot readings that MT and I had done for fun while we were on vacation in California. The man who did our readings made it plain through costume, manner and literally, the signs on the wall that he was an entertainer. We watched as he did readings for other people. He put on quite the show! He was too young for Vaudeville, but he would have done well there. MT and I sit down for our readings. MT was first It was all fun and glitter until he laid the cards down. His entire manner changed, which we thought was part of the show. He became serious and thoughtful, and looked from MT to the cards, the cards to MT. I shan't repeat what was said, that's MT's business, but he accurately and specifically said some things about MT's past and how that affected his future. When MT's reading was over, he spoke quietly and seriously to him for a few minutes. I couldn't hear what was said, nor do I want to know what was said. All I will say is that MT was impressed and that ain't easy.

So comes my turn. He went back to hamming it up. It was all glitter and fun until he laid the cards on the table. Once again, he became serious and thoughtful. He looked at me and very quietly made four remarkably specific predictions. Three of them have come true. After our readings, he closed shop for the night...some two hours earlier than he normally did.

I understand that there are explanations for this that have nothing to do with the supernatural. And I tend towards some of them, particularly those explanations dealing with self fulfilling prophecies and confirmation bias. I still don't know how he did it or why his demeanor changed from the consumate show man to being serious and thoughful. That could well have been part of the show...or a bad case of gas. Regardless, it was certainly interesting.

I can understand that. The few Tarot readings I've had have had lots of major Arcana show up all at once to confuse and worry the reader. And, as you might guess from my reading for you and others here, I'm not one to gloss over the negative or make people's readings all goodness and light. I think that's extremely unfair ... :dontknow:

Garnet wrote:
By the way, I just realized that I've thought this but I haven't said it...

Thank you for doing this reading for me, Hex. :)

Absolutely! And thanks for the responses. It's interesting that I'm learning so much about the reading process and the introspective aspects of what you can get from a reading.

Besides, as Pooh noted above, I get to have to drink during the readings, so it's a good thing! :drunken:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2009, 20:20 
First Circle Initiate

I've seen that mentioned in here. Makes me want to take it up! (I keed, I keed.)

I am curious, though. What do you drink and why is that part of the reading?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2009, 20:39 

Garnet wrote:
I am curious, though. What do you drink and why is that part of the reading?

For your reading I was drinking ginger mead (I brewed up a 5 gallon batch), though I've divined using bourbon many (, many!) times before. As to the 'why' of it, since I use runes, it's not only the traditional drink of the Norse (not so many grains growing in Scandinavia), but Thor uses it (by putting some in his eyes) to see the truth on the frost giant's illusions ...

Odin likes it; Odin was the first to recognize the runes' power; divines should imbibe to aid in the understanding of the supernatural messages ...

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 11:42 
First Circle Initiate

Mead...mmmmmmmmmm. [homer drooly]

Thank you for the explanation, Hex. It's not so dissimiliar to the reasons that Navajos do sweat lodge ceremonies and smoke sweet tobacco. The sweat cleanses the body and the mind, opening the door for visions.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 11:45 
Grand Poobah

There was a reason alcohol was called 'spirits' right?

:cheeky:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next