The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 16:58

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 07:09 
Grand Poobah

yes, plural.

http://www.arkansasbaptist.org/ministries_news/?id=743

Quote:
Inspired by first-century Christians in the Middle East and 21st-century Christians in Memphis, a North Little Rock church on a recent Sunday dished out a “reverse offering,” giving away $5,000 to needy congregants....

So at the end of each of the church’s three Sunday services Aug. 30, baskets with small bills were laid out at the front of the sanctuary. “I told them ‘We don’t want one dime of this left,’” Elliff, 57, said....

Some churchgoers stepped forward, not to take, but to give.
By the time the last service ended, all but $3 had been given away.
The Southern Baptist church, which has an average weekly attendance of 1,100 to 1,200 people, took the $5,000 out of its budget, Elliff said. It takes in $32,000 in offerings a week.

Church leaders decided on the unorthodox act a few weeks ago as part of a sermon series on giving, Elliff said. The church had studied first-century Christians in Asia Minor and Jerusalem who shared money and possessions despite their own poverty.

“In the New Testament, church people held all their possessions with a loose hand,” he said.

“We began to think about it in the context of today’s economy,” he said. “Even in the midst of a downturn ... we should be giving more to illustrate the sufficiency of God.”

Quote:
Like Elliff, Ross was inspired by the book of Acts and by the biblical concept of Jubilee, “where debts are canceled, and people come together to take care of the community.”

Ross, 28, said he had heard about similar giveaways from a church in Michigan as well as churches in Ireland and Africa, which make “reverse offerings” a weekly occurrence, according to church missionaries who went there.

Ross pleaded with his church members “to not deprive God of providing for their daily necessities” and “not deprive people from the joy of giving.” They gave, some dropping “checks in the baskets with the ‘Pay to the order of’ left blank. These checks were for $50, $500, $1,000 and the memo read, ‘Acts 4,’” he wrote on his Web log. Others received, like those with hospital bills, utility bills, car insurance payments and an elderly woman who needed her windows replaced, he said.

:score10:

I hope this catches on like wildfire.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 06:23 
Neighbor of the Beast

Now that is the first truly "Christian" act I have heard of in a long time... :cheeky:

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 07:34 
Grand Poobah

I know.

Makes me happy and hopeful.