The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 04:41

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I Demand Better Vampires
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 14:13 
Grand Poobah

http://io9.com/5500259/i-demand-better-vampires
Quote:
The newest trend among vampires seems to be removing any downside at all from actually being a vampire.

We watched the first two episodes of Being Human last night—a British vampire/werewolf series. And while I'm grateful that these vampires and werewolves aren't high schoolers and make a stab at something other than stalking young girls and sparkling, I'm a little...sigh over the whole thing.

Gone are the days of Nosferatu or even Dracula—apparently vampires can walk around in the daylight now, whether they sparkle or not (Being Human, The Vampire Diaries, Twilight), are universally hot (everything ever), functionally cannot be killed and honestly no one even tries anymore, can see themselves in mirrors most of the time, and can even touch crosses without going up like a roman candle (True Blood). There is literally no bad in being a vampire except for the blood drinking thing, and being a vegetarian who only drinks cow blood or whatever is pretty much de rigeur for your modern vampire.

So...essentially you just live forever, right? That's it. You live forever, are super strong, and smoking hot.

And yet these vampires mope around like this is the greatest burden ever borne by preternaturally attractive man. The moping was because of the downsides, kids. Never seeing the sun. Being unable to have sex or connect with humans. Being hideous. The whole moral compass of vampire literature is that yeah, you live forever, but it sucks. And beneath that is the Christian assumption that you stole eternal life from its proper channels (Jesus) and took it for yourself through the devil. So it's a black reflection of life in the paradaisical hereafter. (Also no hereafter for the vampire if you get staked.)

There is no reason to get upset because you get to live forever while not being hunted to death by righteous men, having to avoid delicious garlic, while also having every girl or boy in a mile radius fall madly in love with you. That is not the curse of the ages. That is awesome.

So seeing the Being Human vampires behaving as though their life is any kind of monstrous travesty (I won't make her a monster ZOMG!) is really pretty boring. Most humans don't think twice about using others for their own ends and they aren't vampires at all. Having to live on blood, which is basically all that's left of the mythos, is not an angstfest. Some Scottish people are eating black pudding right now without being even a little bit horde of the damned.

I just wish there were any other plot. One vampire wants to be nice and only eat cows and every other vampire is harshing their squee. They want to be as much like a human as possible. Except vampires are humans now, except hot and immortal. Literally no other difference. But they're acting out the same old plots like they're Bela Lugosi. It's way postmodern, if anyone noticed onscreen, which they don't. Like 19 year olds acting out stories about their grandparents radical activities in the 60s when they in fact live in a world where all those issues are passe.

I have the same contempt for this plot that I do for the portal fantasy wherein the stupid kid just wants to go home. It's exactly the same story. Once turned into a vampire, with the whole world opened up and turned upside down, become something new and endless and fascinating, the stupid vampire just whines about wanting to be human again. SHUT UP.

Being human? Not that awesome. In fact, we pretty much suck, and we don't even sparkle a little. We're violent and amoral and devious and angsty. Just like a vampire. Only we die, and we still have to eat meat to live until that happens. And yet any character who up and says: "You know what? Being a vampire rules" is immediately a villain and treated with contempt by her maker. (True Blood, Angel, Being Human, Interview with the Vampire, and ALL OF EVERYTHING, EVER. Don't even get me started on how vampires are apparently 99% male now, and yet the character who enjoys being a vampire is usually female. Or Ian Somerhalder.)

Given this new breed of vampires, there should be, you know, a new breed of vampires. For example. Watching The Vampire Diaries, which is terrible, there's a scene where the receding hairline vampire high school guy mumbles and looks at his feet and then tells the boring high school girl that he's "not very good at small talk."

Well, you fucking well should be, shouldn't you? You're four hundred years old! You should be AWESOME at small talk! You should be like a social Olympic athlete! You should be all: sometimes I small talk a tree, just for fun! You should be able to walk into a room and own it like fucking David Bowie, my friend. What have you been doing all this time? Mumbling? That doesn't even work for mortal boys! I AM DONE WITH YOU, VAMPIRE FAILURE.

Vampires should be pretty much like mean girls, all the time, only amazing at it. Flawless. They've had time. Like when you put a penny in a bank account and a thousand years later you're rich. Social capital, it is the same. Those high school kids should never know what hit them because they are amateurs. Vampires should not be at the approximate social stage of a particularly awkward 14 year old with anxiety issues. They should be devils in blue dresses. This is the metaphor: the cool kids are all vampires, and they fuck with you because it's fun. Because they're demons and they like it. They keep going to high school over and over not to pick up some awkward 16 year old virgin, but because they can get away with shit in the maelstrom of high school that adults would never put up with. They are Chuck Bass. All of them. All the time.

But no, we get the same old mopey shit. Vampire Dorothy wants to go back to boring human-Kansas. And the werewolves turn into gross CGI monsters instead of actual wolves and are never, ever as cool as vampires even though I literally do not know a high school girl who would turn down a guy who was an awesome wolf sometimes. The only thing better would be a were-pony. I'm sick of that trope, too. If we've decided as a culture that where there is a vampire, there is a werewolf, then werewolves need to up their game a little, instead of being the also-ran in the monster rally. I mean, the material is all there—vampires are sex and death, werewolves are life and sex, they really do go together—but no one ever does anything with it but yell: Look! A werewolf! Now back to the vampire moping on the double!

I demand better.

And this has been my complaining about the state of vampires in our fallen world. We now return you to your regular sparkly programming.

omg, I sooooo agree!!!

20 years ago I was already sick of the vegetarian vamp. And they have gotten so much sillier!

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 13:25 
Second-Sight Apprentice

I have been reading the Kelley Armstrong series Women of the Underworld. It's the same thing. All the creatures are pretty tame. It's still been fun to read though. 30 Days of Night is a great recent vampire flick but that is one story out of how many? I agree on the whole women thing too. Even in the series above they all tend to go limp when it comes to men. How can you be a vampire women, never age, no gray hair or wrinkles and not go and use your assets, lol. Vampires got soft and superheroes are getting darker. Go figure.

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 04:32 
Adherent

<P>lmx omega watches My burberry outlet scalp houston rockets jerseys a first tiffany und co glance, jordan retro almost gucci handbags in front burberry outlet online of tommy hilfiger online a burberry black lakers jerseys man phoenix suns jersey to nike free run fight new balance canada back gucci shoes outlet is northface crazy knife, milwaukee bucks jersey all giuseppe zanotti sneakers of ralph lauren a polo ralph lauren outlet online sudden it lions jerseys hit giants jerseys the roshe run lights into a root, jimmy choo shoes immediately vans outlet extinguished, surrounded north face by kate spade handbags a dark eagles jerseys picture lululemon australia becomes, reebok followed coach outlet online by vans shoes my ferragamo shoes hand Nike Shoes was tory burch wrapped mcm bags around michael kors outlet what louboutin shoes to nike shoes outlet live, roshe run hard jaguars jerseys to chanel sunglasses twist dre beats back, nike schoenen I michael kors outlet online sale was pandora charms scared ed hardy clothing completely ralph lauren outlet online lost minnesota timberwolves jersey the long champ ability ugg to think, tiffany and co howl tory burch outlet loudly, michael kors bags exhausted detroit pistons body nike shoes strength polo ralph lauren outlet to nike air force think hermes bags over timberland femme with nfl jerseys a insanity workout calendar struggle, air max the body bottega veneta following new balance a cheap oakley not completely wholesale clothing click, huarache click ghd horny asics roots louboutin I uggs sank levis jeans the whole person, yoga pants and adidas.se things together free running behind tory burch shoes me fell uggaustralia.com into tommy hilfiger a ray ban outlet shallow pit michael kors outlet inside.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I nike roshe fall hollister at the same jordans time, I heard coach outlet someone nike air max call adidas superstar out: air jordan retro "You're a Shuaigui!" atlanta hawks jerseys Then prada outlet flashlight thomas sabo uk lit ralph lauren up, mcm backpack outlet while cheap ray ban firmly pressing my gucci shoes boss prada sunglasses Wang, ralph lauren outlet while shining woolrich jackets his ralph lauren polo flashlight oakley sunglasses outlet into wedding dresses my chicago bulls jersey eyes christian louboutin shone new york knicks almost converse sneakers blind canada gooses outlet a. hogan outlet I was coach outlet canada about www.tommyhilfiger.nl to michael kors outlet online hand oakley sunglasses outlet to seahawks jerseys cover, patriots jerseys dumped coach outlet online suddenly nike shoes gave him ugg a glasses online slap oakley vault in bengals jerseys the oakley sungalsses outlet face, uggs on sale there nike air max is ray ban wayfarer no nike free 5.0 strength browns jerseys left, my harrods london nose is now uggaustralia.com a pandora cold ray ban start nosebleeds.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I vikings jerseys kick michael kors canada him after ugg boots clearance he timberland boots severely air max scolded michael kors me chanel bags a barbour outlet few swarovski crystal times, roshe run and nike free 5.0 said:. rolex watches "You toms shoes outlet a dolphins jerseys Pujie golden state warriors jersey Aberdeen, purses and handbags you do michael kors bags not ugg boots wanna give ray ban sonnenbrillen you wedding dress face, burberry outlet and hilfiger online shop I soccer shoes juggle swarovski australia fat guy, uggs you toms shoes go mcm handbags to hell."</P>
<P></P>
<P>I tommy hilfiger outlet immediately realized utah jazz jersey that it ray ban outlet was new orleans pelicans jersey all long champ about huarache how coach factory his michaelkors.com mother hogan to ray-ban sunglasses death in michael kors outlet Guangdong juicy couture handbags this gucci mens shoes fat jimmy choo outlet actually tiffany and co has nike free 5.0 the supra footwear guts uggs outlet to michael kors outlet online sale come secretly to iphone case touch, ferragamo look rams jerseys at this air max shoes person is longchamp taschen probably michael kors not ray ban occhiali the reaction michael kors outlet online I michael kors outlet thought I was azcardinals jerseys in adidas canada with handbags outlet him oakley sunglasses juggle, ralph lauren factory store and tiffany jewelry I polo outlet store taboo reloj inside, oklahoma city thunder jersey afraid memphis grizzlies jersey to go m a c cosmetics after michael kors me toms shoes outlet with ralph lauren polos a hollister kids word, coach outlet did salvatore ferragamo not ralph lauren even adidas superstar open the jets jerseys flashlight, secretly beats headphones climbed steelers jerseys in, I pandora was being ugg run into the air jordan ghost cheap oakley dance beats headphones listen michael kors handbags to ugg australia the babyliss pro sound, pandora canada the nike air max result swarovski online was air max schoenen almost counterassaulted colts jerseys give ugg boots me instyler ionic styler a ralph lauren outlet knife burberry outlet to chi hair do, michael kors outlet online and polo ralph now ray ban wayfarer probably nike shoes outlet thought I wanted nike air max 90 to nike air max kill coach purses outlet online he.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I would michael kors uk like to orlando magic jersey explain, softball bats but his pandora schmuck card with my ralph lauren outlet online neck, hollisterco I could longchamp handbags not boots on sale speak. swarovski jewelry He seemed oakley canada unbearable prada anger, but also beats by dre a mcm backpack outlet slap in nike schuhe the longchamp outlet face sacramento kings jersey and packers jerseys hit my nike roshe ears north face backpacks hum hermes is heard, san antonio spurs jerseys I burberry online shop suddenly fire abercrombie and fitch kids from saints jerseys the burberry outlet heart, the rayban heart that I fuck coach factory your michael kors canada grandmother, oakley dare valentino outlet hit shows puma outlet did baseball jerseys not raiders jerseys even nfl jerseys look nike air max at veneta me buccaneers jerseys as christian louboutin shoes a person, immediately true religion outlet on a adidas online hit true religion jeans in puma online the mont blanc past, he will marc by marc jacobs hit a supra footwear strong, oakley sunglasses cheap two people broncos jerseys roll lululemon together, moncler mens jackets you new balance blow moncler outlet online my cheap basketball shoes foot, portland trail blazers jersey all michael kors of toms outlet a adidas online sudden timberland shoes the burberry outlet online coffin brooklyn nets jerseys rolled slit celine bags edge polo ralph of zapatillas nike his ralph lauren outlet strength ravens jerseys than salomon schuhe me, hermes belt all coach outlet store online of longchamp a chargers jerseys sudden they cleveland cavaliers have montre homme the philadelphia 76ers jerseys upper bears jerseys hand, ralph lauren outlet I mizuno wave put mcm backpack pressure michael kors handbags on chi flat iron the body, gucci I air max 2015 looked washington wizards jersey up tory burch and burberry handbags wanted to hollister online pinch michael kors the thomas sabo result here michael jordan too nba jerseys short, bills jerseys lift nike mercurial vapor his replica watches head, polo ralph lauren hit abercrombie on falcons jerseys one michael kors v?skor of michael kors usa the marc by marc jacobs roots, ugg boots he indoor soccer shoes knocked michael kors purses the coach outlet online moment, I cheap oakley sunglasses suddenly tommy hilfiger outlet stores took coach factory outlet the lunette ray ban opportunity to ray bans kick his panthers jerseys crotch the north face at oakley sunglasses the top vans schuhe of prada outlet the new balance he katespade Dingfan p90x out, heat jerseys then nike roshe rushed gucci uk grabbed the north face outlet his fossil uhren flashlight cheap nfl jerseys into his head that straightener moment, michael kors taschen he oakley will hit Mongolia coco chanel in cheap coach purses the air huarache past.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I hollister clothing store pressed abercrombie.com on ugg boots him north face to see if nike shop he is new balance outlet temporarily north face outlet unable to oakley vault move, juicy couture outlet use baseball bats a burberry sale flashlight to glasses frames shine around wedding dresses and saw nike tn this omega watches bird equipment and los angeles clippers jersey gun red bottom shoes did not bring oakley sunglasses in, presumably toms shoes feel the north face inside prada shoes too narrow 49ers jerseys escape gucci outlet fear timberland outlet hurt redskins jerseys yourself. mac makeup I calvin klein underwear touch purses and handbags him, nike shoes wanted to burberry outlet online take his chanel handbags dagger, rolex watch he would abercrombie suddenly abercrombie fitch I watches canada was converse outlet up ray ban sunglasses one, and rayban I like knockoff handbags him, ray bans one gafas oakley hit kate spade outlet online the cowboys jerseys top, rolex watches for sale driven northface to burberry outlet store see asics gel stars, air max quickly turn coach outlet store to tiffany and co one replica watches side, nike air max thea so oakley outlet give denver nuggets jerseys him burberry sale the top a coach outlet store online bit. nike huarache I toronto raptors jersey have toms outlet online brains coach outlet online out cheap true religion from the nose.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Wang burberry sale boss swarovski jewelry to titans jerseys get up, louboutin shoes who ray ban sunglasses outlet are all canada gooses fine pandora bracelet roots cheap michael kors and must nike store be bcbg max azria crushed iphone 5s cases fungi, tommy hilfiger already air jordan shoes angry face christian louboutin shoes twisted texans jerseys up, charlotte hornets jerseys breathing adidas superstar heavily, his eyes converse shoes are chiefs jerseys red, boston celtics jersey I nike outlet know toms shoes he bebe clothing moved dallas mavericks jerseys Murder, prom dresses like ray ban zonnebril him the north face that coach bags kinds ralph lauren outlet of nike.se punks giuseppe shoes started to climb beats by dr dre step swarovski by step air max to north face jackets the nike air max people, gucci belts to jordan release dates 2015 kill true religion jeans outlet certainly michael kors outlet online sale heavy, toms.com and nike.dk always abercrombie kids wanted mcm backpack to ralph lauren kill bcbg max each lululemon canada other. coach factory outlet It rolex seems tiffany and co australia this yoga pants time, really barbour factory want converse chucks a hollister clothing fight to longchamp outlet the bitter.</P> indiana pacers jersey