The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 21:14

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Imbolic whatever---
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2008, 15:31 
Grand Poobah

Any plans for the upcoming? I don’‘t know what we’‘re doing yet. And the child has been ... very four today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2008, 13:32 
First Circle Initiate

My sister and I are going to eat cheesecake with whipped cream and berries. And then I’‘ll set up the cauldron someplace safe, pour in a little alcohol, and light it on fire.

--Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 12:36 
First Circle Initiate

Update: The food plans have been expanded to include an all-white supper with things like lightly seasoned chicken breast, steamed cauliflower, mashed potatoes, and maybe some mozzarella or Swiss cheese. And the cheesecake and whipped cream, of course. We're not stupid.

--Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 21:27 
Grand Poobah

And Champagne. ;) Must have that!

We try to make blintzes, amd a pepper/cheese/chicken cajun dish that we love, and we make Pascha and bread and have a big breakfast. Like one of the ones that Swiss Colony pushes? Pancakes (made with real buttermilk, ham, broiled grapefruit, coffee with cream, mimosas... <sigh>

We occasionally have a cheese pot luck as well, a larger Lupercalia Blot. I'm trying to get an informal one together. We're so backlogged--- dare I say we still have Yule decorations up?

Oh! And we try to make candles to use at all our blots--- this may be easier this year, because we inherited Hex's Gramma's candle mold, so one bathch should do it instead of two--- and we burn (as a family) smaller candles (the Shabbat candles from the supermarket) in honor of our dead. We carve their names on each candle, talk about the person a little, and then light them all. We sit around, talking about the candles, the dead, and everything, until they are gone. They last about 2 hours, so it's not really long, and we get to hear stories about people long dead.

I really like that one. We normally have 12-18 candles going at this event.

Karalora--- don't forget Alfredo sauce! ;)

Last edited by jess on 31 Jan 2008, 21:40, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 22:14 
The Good Man of Nanking

Karalora wrote:
Update: The food plans have been expanded to include an all-white supper with things like lightly seasoned chicken breast, steamed cauliflower, mashed potatoes, and maybe some mozzarella or Swiss cheese. And the cheesecake and whipped cream, of course. We're not stupid.

Marshmallows? Milk? Some white chocolate? Hard-boiled eggs?

Vanilla ice cream?

Just a couple of more suggestions --

Rob

Naked Gun 2 1/2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2008, 01:45 
First Circle Initiate

mayonaisse, ranch dressing, white cake, white cheese, white bread, white wine....

:D not all at once though!

Post subject: Re: Imbolic whatever---
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2008, 12:55 
First Circle Initiate

Well, my son, who is an atheist, was the only one to speak of this holiday in my family at first. He had us buy sausages from the store because he wanted to have ground hog to celebrate groundhog day. So, we did that (getting boca sausages for the girls who don't eat meat) and then this morning the girls start wishing me a happy imbolic and I made the mental connection to this thread. I'm not sure if the girls have anything planned for the wiccan holiday, we're going to the art museum in a bit, but that is only because it's "free day" for city residents.

On a side note for fun and for those interested, it looks like we have an early spring ahead of us according to wikipedia. None of the well-known groundhogs were frightened by their shadows except Punxsutawney Phil. The stats were:

2008 Early Spring -- Balzac Billy
2008 Early Spring -- Sir Walter Wally
2008 Early Spring -- Wiarton Willie
2008 Early Spring -- General Beauregard Lee
2008 Early Spring -- Malverne Mel
2008 Early Spring -- Shubenacadie Sam
2008 Early Spring -- Staten Island Chuck
2008 6 more weeks of winter -- Punxsutawney Phil

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2008, 13:20 
Grand Poobah

as a rational person, I'd like it if you counted the weeks from Imbolic to the Vernal Equinox...

got it?

no matter if the dog sees his shadow or not, it's six weeks... ;)

Groundhog day is a remnant of the pagan holiday to celbrate the first new foods--- the lambs being born, thus there's new milk. Candlemas is an ancient Christian holiday that falls today as well...

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2008, 16:38 
Grand Poobah

I think this got posted in the old, nuked version of ratpags---

Great article about this particular holiday...

get out the whips!

Hot pagan sex and lustful gods and ancient wolf goddesses and potential marriage and more sex and more than a little crazed giddy divine animal blood sacrifice.

All followed by some nice light whippings administered by nearly naked grinning boy-men, casual flagellations by goat-skin, some joyful thrashing in the name of fertility and purity and, you know, sex. Ahh, Valentine's Day.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 18:19 
First Circle Initiate

jess wrote:
no matter if the dog sees his shadow or not, it's six weeks... ;)

Well, sure, if you think seasonal changes are defined by a 24-page booklet from Hallmark with photos of kittens or Harley-Davidson motorcycles on every other page...

Vernal Equinox is an astronomical event, a precise moment in time. The transition from Winter to Spring is a gradual change in the weather that can't be squarely predicted from year to year and certainly isn't the same in every part of the world (or even every part of the hemisphere). It annoys me when printed calendars mark the Solstices and Equinoxes as "First Day of <Season>," because it's not remotely that clear-cut.

--Me

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 23:28 
Grand Poobah

Well, the astronomy always is the same, but the feel of the seasons change.

Which is why these cross quarter days are more important than the others. This is midwinter, and it feels like it. May is Spring, August is summer and October is fall.

But I agree that especially the 'first day of autumn' never feels like it.

:cheeky:

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 10:46 
Garden Goddess

jess wrote:
I think this got posted in the old, nuked version of ratpags---

Great article about this particular holiday...

get out the whips!

Hot pagan sex and lustful gods and ancient wolf goddesses and potential marriage and more sex and more than a little crazed giddy divine animal blood sacrifice.

All followed by some nice light whippings administered by nearly naked grinning boy-men, casual flagellations by goat-skin, some joyful thrashing in the name of fertility and purity and, you know, sex. Ahh, Valentine's Day.

Oh this is grand.....I do sincerely love it when someone else does the research and shares the knowledge. :cheers:
why it seem the "church" is always rippin off someone elses holidays, huh? Here I thought there was some "conspiracy" by our government to promote gluttunous spending to boost the economy after WWII. :roll:
ah hah now i really now the root of it!
and in light of the season I did go to a Pure Romance party for some lovely gifts ! :wink:

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 13:17 
First Circle Initiate

Supper was delicious. I took some photos of the table because it was so pretty:

http://karalora.deviantart.com/gallery

--Me

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 14:26 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

You're right, the table looks (looked?) great in those pics! :thumbup:

And I see the guests of honor were already waiting in their seats ... :cheeky:

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 16:14 
First Circle Initiate

The cats always take an interest in our household goings-on, and never moreso than when those goings-on are Pagan. I have to ban them from my bedroom because that's where my altar is and they always jump up on it. No wonder the cat is the definitive witch familiar!

--Me