The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 24 Jun 2017, 10:44

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

Post subject: Charities
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2007, 06:10 
Postess

These are a couple of charities I regularly donate to, just thought I would share: Kiva.org

And Heifer.org

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."

Last edited by Tao of Pooh on 23 Nov 2007, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2007, 15:07 
Grand Poobah

ahhh... you forgot to say why... ;)

Why do you like Heiferand Kiva?

:director: Linky fix ...

Last edited by jess on 25 Nov 2007, 18:35, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2007, 22:52 
Grand Poobah

We donated in my dead Gramma in Law's name part of a wool basket this year. She was a knitter.

Thanks for the reminder.

Wanna do a small sort of activism ourselves? Here? Maybe bring some good intot he wor5ld and get more members?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2008, 02:37 
Postess

I'm trying. I've invited a couple of people (over the 'net) & have the url to this place as my sig on a couple of other messageboards.

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2008, 04:33 
Postess

I like Heifer, even though it's a (gasp) Christian site!!! :eek:
Actually I don't find it that Christiany, it may have been started by a Christian but it isn't about proselytizing, as far as I know it doesn't do anything like that.

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2008, 21:25 
Grand Poobah

Personally, I feel that a religion has every right to ask its members to be good people and work to make the world a better place. I see no better way to 'proselytize' than to be strong and generous and have good character.

I do have problems with certain groups (like the local Baptist mission) that require a hoop to jump though--- like praying or confessing--- before they help you.

I've read that Hindus and Catholics are asked to convert 'through example'--- by being so 'good' your neighbors ask you about your source of strength. I doubt that's an across the board standard though... Although it should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008, 04:26 
Postess

By example is ok, it's the in your face approach that bugs me. The jumping through hoops is kinda a problem too, when they're saying that they're helping someone in need...but @ a price.

On Kiva.org, this is my lender page (shameless plug here :) )
http://www.kiva.org/lender/robyn6078

[font=Arial Black]Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008, 04:35 
Postess

Oh, as to why I like these charities, they seem more personal than some other charities, it's not like you're giving to a business but to actual people.

Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008, 20:18 
Grand Poobah

could you explaint he Kiva thing to me? It looks interesting---

I'm assuming there's no interest? It's sorta a donation you get backa dn can re-donate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2008, 04:48 
Postess

It's a kind of micro-entrepreneurship thingie where you help small businesses improve themselves. I like agricultural ones but I don't exclusively donate to those. You can actually search for businesses if you have a criteria you want to use.
It's not a tax-deductible charity, these are loans that are repaid. I just looked @ my acct & my current credit is $30. This can be withdrawn or reloaned or donated to Kiva. I think if it's donated to Kiva it's tax-deductible.

Ever notice the people who tell you to calm down are the ones who got you upset in the first place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2008, 11:02 
Grand Poobah

So basically, say I 'give' them $100--- I either get it back or I don't, and if I do, I can just reloan it (so, I'm 'out' the $100 but multiple people can use the same money).

There's no financial benefit to me (tax wise or interest wise) but no real loss either?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 02:44 
Postess

Pretty much. When whoever you've loaned to repays the entire loan the amount you donated goes into your credit account to either be reloaned or withdrawn by you. You can keep reloaning the same $$ over & over as it gets paid back, I've done it a couple of times. You can see from my loaner page some loans have been paid back, some are in the process of paying back, some are waiting for the entire loan. I just checked & I now have $77.50 to my credit from the loans that have been paid back.

Well, I guess you're not really "out" the $ because you can get it back after the loan is paid but yeah, there is no interest on the loan.

The only time it's tax-deductible is if you contribute the $ in your account to Kiva itself, to help with it's operation. I tend to give 10% of a loan to Kiva, so it's $2.50 for every $25 loan.
I tend to search for loans from oldest to newest since there does seem to be a time limit on how long a a loan is um...open to receive funds. That's why one of the ones I loaned to was refunded, it didn't receive all the funds requested in the time allowed. I don't know how long the time period is.

When you search the loans requested you get a list that you can click one the individual person & read a bit about them & why they want the loan. You can also get info about the organization in their area that is helping them (field partner), as well as the people who have already donated.

The wages of sin are death, but by the time taxes are taken out, it's just sort of a tired feeling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 04:28 
Postess

Damn! I just checked Kiva, I was gonna donate the $$ I have in credit & the site says that right now, due to recent press every one of the businesses is fully funded!
:eek: Wow.

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Last edited by Tao of Pooh on 08 Jan 2008, 04:41, edited 1 time in total.