The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 26 Jun 2017, 00:16

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

Post subject: Not so Little Choices
PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 05:33 
First Circle Initiate

Note to moderators: Could you please consider making the thread stick?

I’m starting this thread to look at how we might overcome the numerous and growing problems that our society is facing. The Little Choices thread looks for solutions to some of these problems. The purpose of this thread is to take our efforts to the next level and look for a comprehensive solution to them all.

I have proposed such a solution here. I would appreciate any contribution that you may have to offer.

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 21:11 
Grand Poobah

Very cool.

It must be so difficult to live in Africa... You have such a different view of the world than I do.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 01:57 
First Circle Initiate

Hmm... How so?

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 22:57 
Postess

Would you explain "deliberate living"? I've heard the term before but don't really understand what it means.

PostPosted: 13 May 2009, 01:20 
First Circle Initiate

Tao of Pooh wrote:
Would you explain "deliberate living"? I've heard the term before but don't really understand what it means.

I'm pretty sure that it means different things to different people. This is how I've defined it in my book:

Quote:
By deliberate, I mean living life in such a way that the protagonist is aware of what she is thinking, saying or doing, understands why she is thinking, saying or doing it, and approves of it being thought, said or done, with respect to every thought, word and action of consequence.

This information is available on my website, so I'm not sure whether you were asking me to elaborate on it.

PostPosted: 13 May 2009, 04:22 
Postess

I read some of your site, not all of it.

Deliberate living sounds like a difficult thing to do, particularly the consequences aspect.

PostPosted: 13 May 2009, 06:48 
Neighbor of the Beast

To do so in all things and at all times would be near impossible, as with anything. On the other hand, it is not so hard to make a habit of self-examination and deliberative thought processes with the intention of striving towards that goal.

Rather like the way I do things these days myself.

I am a very big fan of Education. It can overcome many of issues. Redress of poverty is another favorite of mine, though I am a proponent of "teaching people to fish" as opposed to giving the fish away...this issue is much harder given the "will" needed.

PostPosted: 13 May 2009, 13:48 
First Circle Initiate

HavenMage wrote:
To do so in all things and at all times would be near impossible, as with anything. On the other hand, it is not so hard to make a habit of self-examination and deliberative thought processes with the intention of striving towards that goal.

That's pretty much the idea. I prefer setting impossible goals because then I don't have to worry about resetting them when they are reached.

PostPosted: 17 May 2009, 03:58 
First Circle Initiate

At a reader's request, I've created an overview of the roadmap for social transformation. This should make it easier to get a quick sense of what the proposal is about and whether reading it is worth your time. I've also updated the roadmap based on the feedback that I've received, including referrences to SocialDesignSite, Movement for Good and the IM magazine.

Here is the overview for your convenience:
Quote:
The foundation of our society derives from our beliefs and values. These guide our interaction with ourselves and other people, which becomes formalised in our social structures. Once erected, structures from different segments of society interlock and become mutually reinforcing with the beliefs and values upon which they were founded. As a result, we cannot fundamentally revise any one of them without unsettling the structure as a whole. We need to tackle all of them simultaneously.

What I’m suggesting is a grassroots movement for social change. It needs to be global in its sweep so that it cannot be eliminated by the present power structures. It needs to be all-inclusive so that there is no need to fear it beyond uncertainty inherent in change itself. And its success needs to arise from tangible benefits that it has to offer rather than from our ability to enforce it or the inability of the present system to sustain itself.

To this end, I suggest an approach that has three complementary facets, the responsibility for which lies with those of us who wish to transform society:
  • Personal growth, so that we can identify a better way to live, and persevere with our efforts to create it.
  • Raising of social consciousness, so that the benefits of this way of life become widely recognised, and the drive to create it widely adopted.
  • Overhauling of our existing social structures by creating new ones that work better and render the current ones obsolete.

Personal growth can be accomplished by actively seeking insights on how to live – mostly from literature on the subject, observation and personal experience – and putting them into practice. The process is by no means easy and requires a great deal of time and effort, but at least it is under our control.

The growth of other people is not under our control and may be the most difficult aspect of the transformation. The difficulty lies in the conformist mentality of the majority of the population, which leads to unconscious internalisation and irrational defence of existing social norms. The mentality can be challenged directly, by undermining their tendency to conform to social norms, as well as indirectly, by undermining those norms.

Overhauling of the present social structures is a collective effort. A considerable number of initiatives with this objective have already been started. The challenge lies in understanding how each one contributes to the overall undertaking and leveraging its strengths to complement the other initiatives. I have tried to do this by listing the initiatives that I find the most promising and describing the role that they can play in transforming the aspect of society that they deal with – mythology, lifestyle, child rearing, education, economy, judiciary and media.

The most important message to take away from my proposal is that social transformation is not something that is beyond our reach or that we leave to other people to worry about, but something that unfolds in our midst and that our actions contribute towards.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010, 09:12 
Grand Poobah

This is what one person can do.