The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 15:40

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

Post subject: Non-theist Nexus---
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2008, 11:52 
Grand Poobah

Has it'sfirst issue up---

We can join in the caption contest etc.

Octavia said so. :twisted:

I don't know if this is activism or media, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 04:25 
Postess

SPAM!

(kidding :P )

The wages of sin are death, but by the time taxes are taken out, it's just sort of a tired feeling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2008, 19:52 
Second-Sight Apprentice

Spam my arse! :twisted: Just to give you guys a bit more info: A couple of months ago, with support from RBH, I floated the idea of an IIDB community newsletter, but it expanded in scale! It was getting way beyond newsletter size and turning more into an e-journal ([i00]Nexus[/i00], hosted at the Nontheist Nexus), that covered a variety of boards rather than just one (many people who were members of one board were often members of related boards). Which is good. High-value, and all that. We’‘re not getting involved in mud-slinging or forum politics, but want to provide a monthly journal to service IIDB, RnR, HH, FF, the Richard Dawkins forum and any other online freethought community (like you lot at RP!) who is interested. It’‘s still in early stages, but it will be a resource for everyone, much like the SecWeb Library. [i00]Nexus[/i00] will hopefully be a monthly e-journal comprising academic and community content, approximately 20-25,000 words/issue. Issues come out on the first of each month. The January 2008 (our first issue) is already up, and the Feb. issue will be up in a few days. Because this is a zine for you, you get to contribute! Cool, eh? If you want to put in anything - articles, columns, book/movie reviews, recipes, jokes, art, music - we take pretty much anything. There’‘s no point in being that precious about it - it’‘s meant to be a fun thing for the online message board freethought/humanist community to share. So if you’‘ve got any ideas that you want to share, you can post them here, or contact either myself or Writer@Large. Entries into the caption contest can just be posted in this thread (until our tech staff can get a form working on Joomla). One new thing that we’‘re starting this month is the noticeboard - if you want to advertise any activist or community stuff, give us a bell and we’‘ll pin it up for you. This can be anything from birthday congratulations, birth notices, reminders of real-life meet-ups or activist activities...

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2008, 16:46 
Second-Sight Apprentice

http://nontheistnexus.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

We hope that you enjoy it! (And are inspired to contribute stuff in future, heh.)

As always, if you like what our authors have done, why not drop them a line and tell them so? I'm sure they would appreciate it. :D

Post subject: Re: Non-theist Nexus---
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2008, 16:24 
Second-Sight Apprentice

Hi all - the third issue of the Nexus zine is up, and can be seen at the NN. We hope you enjoy it - especially the new sections (thanks to Nialler for the suggestion! Unfortunately Joomla is making a bit of difficulty with changing the colour to the requested lighter background - we're working on it.

There's a feature interview with Andrea Metskas of Camp Quest, the community profile with Matt, our usual columns and reviews, and a heap of other stuff.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2008, 00:15 
Second-Sight Apprentice

The fourth issue of Nexus is now up!
http://www.nontheistnexus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=101&Itemid=111

Big thanks to the two RP members who contributed stuff for this issue - Karalora and jess.

*hopes the Pagans will like this month's cover, grins*

PostPosted: 07 May 2008, 22:07 
Second-Sight Apprentice

The May issue is up - better late than never... We hope you enjoy it! :)

http://nontheistnexus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=121&Itemid=180

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2008, 03:19 
Second-Sight Apprentice

June issue is here, and it marks six months' existence for our little zine, so we're pretty chuffed. :) Check out the interview with Brendan Powell-Smith from the Brick Testament, and remember that you can submit anything anytime!

http://nontheistnexus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=154&Itemid=268

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2008, 21:14 
'Lustrous Potentate

What format do you want my story submitted in, Octavia? I may need to preserve an italics font or something, though I can't recall at the moment.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 00:31 
Second-Sight Apprentice

Any format you like, really. If you email it to me as an attachment in Word, I can preserve your formatting when I upload it.

Although, you should be warned - we're thinking of having a short story competition soon, with some Amazon gift vouchers for prizes. If your story is specifically non-theist in nature, you may want to save it for that (or write another one!). :)

I don't want to take it off you, announce the competition, then have you stick pins in little dolls because you would have entered if I hadn't already swiped your story. :eek:

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2008, 06:44 
'Lustrous Potentate

Octavia wrote:
Any format you like, really. If you email it to me as an attachment in Word, I can preserve your formatting when I upload it.

Although, you should be warned - we're thinking of having a short story competition soon, with some Amazon gift vouchers for prizes. If your story is specifically non-theist in nature, you may want to save it for that (or write another one!). :)

I don't want to take it off you, announce the competition, then have you stick pins in little dolls because you would have entered if I hadn't already swiped your story. :eek:

Oh, that's OK. The story's neither nontheist nor theist, really. Just an entertainment, so to speak, which actually made me wonder if I should be submitting it to you in the first place. You know I'm not an atheist, right? I'm more like an ignostic, with my own suspicions and tentative beliefs about wooish stuff. Do I still qualify? :)

Not that I would stick your doll full of pins in the first place, but it occurs to me that if that worked, it would be more expeditious just to blow the thing away with a shotgun. :twisted:

Thanks!

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2008, 17:32 
Second-Sight Apprentice

You don't have to be an atheist, and we don't just do secular stuff. :) We do have a section for secular life, but we've also got the Arts and Science sections, where anything goes, really.

So we'd love to have your story! I'd like to see more creative writing in the zine, myself. :cheers:

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2008, 21:47 
Grand Poobah

I'm currently working on finishing up a design for embroidery class, and I've just started 2(!) master craftsmen programs in embroidery...

but I'd also like to get back into writing...

<sigh>

where would I find the guidlines for submitting fiction?

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 18:12 
Second-Sight Apprentice

Um, we don't really have any guidelines. We'll pretty much take anything arty - visual or musical or creative writing in any form. There's so much variation within the arts that it's hard to categorise what we'd take.

It's probably easier to say what we WON'T take. That is, if your story is about your character's life as a nun and how her relationship with Christ has fulfilled her life, I'd say you're probably pitching to the wrong place. I wouldn't object to pantheist or weak-deist themes, though. Otherwise, we pretty much take anything - none of our arts stuff has to be about secularism or non-theism specifically. Indeed, a great deal of it is not. Besides, if you're a member of one of our associated boards (as RatPag is) then you're a member of the online community we're aiming at, and your story (whether scifi or western or romance or whatever) is what we want. Nexus is really there to help build up a place where our community can come to share and show off their stuff - and if any traditional theists pop their heads in to read it, it's good for them to see that we're a community like any other, and that we're mostly interested in the same kind of stuff that they are: arts, science, stories...

Does that help?

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 18:43 
Grand Poobah

yup!

Thanks!