The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 21:34

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gardening and Wildlife
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 11:29 
'Lustrous Potentate

Thought it would be fun to have a general thread on the outdoors, both the domesticated and the wild variety. I'll c/p some posts I've made elsewhere to get the ball rolling.

15 Mar 2010

We saw three robins yesterday -- the first robins I've seen this year!

Heard and saw a sandhill crane flying overhead yesterday morning. Zoe didn't pay any attention to it.

16 Mar 2010

I took Zoe for a long walk yesterday afternoon, taking her on the recreation trail for the first time. We saw loads of red wing blackbirds, a few pair of mallards, and dozens of geese at the pond.

The red wing blackbirds are one of my favorites. They're here from late winter until late fall, and their call always reminds me of being out in the country.

17 Mar 2010

I saw killdeer yesterday. The birdsong from the woods gets louder and louder every morning!

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 11:29 
'Lustrous Potentate

23 Mar 2010

I got an early start to the first lawn application of the year last week, putting down fertilizer and crabgrass control. I usually don't do that until April. The lawn is in pretty rough shape after winter; patches are growing green already, while other parts are brown and matted down from the weight of the snow. I'll have to get a mowing in soon with the blade set short to clean it up and even it out.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 11:31 
'Lustrous Potentate

Forgot to mention that I saw a bald eagle last week, circling above the meadow to the west of our neighborhood.

It was cool and breezy this weekend, but not enough to keep us indoors. Wisconsin state parks allow dogs in most areas, so we took Zoe to the nearest state park and hiked one of the longer trails, 3.7 miles. Some undergrowth starting to push up some leaves, and lots of buds showing up, especially on smaller shrubs.

All the trees in our yard are budding, too, which is a good sign that they made it through the winter unscathed. It has been quite dry, though; we haven't had any significant rainfall since the snow melted. I'll probably have to give the plants in the front of the house a drink soon. We're looking at highs in the low 70s later this week! No significant chance of precipitation before Sunday, though.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010, 07:41 
Second-Sight Apprentice

Saturday was rainy so we drove out to the big city park. Saw several vultures on a deer. May not be attractive but they have just started reintroducing them four years ago. To see a couple doing there job so to speak was pretty cool.

Last weekend we cleaned up the dog poo and put fertilizer down in the garden spot. We are doing a bigger one this year. Think we are gonna fence in the yard. Our golden stays put the Lab and boy are rouges. Great week for outdoors!

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010, 10:20 
'Lustrous Potentate

Took the dog out on the rec trail again yesterday. Lots of gulls around the pond now, in addition to the growing number of mallards and the omnipresent canada geese.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 08:51 
Second-Sight Apprentice

I would love a pond but we don't have room. We got the garden turned over and are going to till end of the month. I can't wait to start planting.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 09:53 
'Lustrous Potentate

The lawn is nice and green, especially after all the rain (and snow!) we had last weekend. A few trees are starting to bud out. But most trees don't fully leaf around here until mid-May, give or take a week. We aren't generally safe from late season frosts until Memorial Day. So a pretty short planting season!

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2010, 21:01 
Grand Poobah

How did I miss this thread?

What a great idea!

I recently realized that the reason winter is so very silent is because the birds are away.

That seems to be the main noise all spring that's missing in the winter.

I'm enjoying the change of season very much.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 14:30 
'Lustrous Potentate

I was walking out on the rec trail a few days ago, and as I was passing by the pond, an adult bald eagle soared by me not 30 feet away, maybe 20 feet off the ground. It was being chased and harassed by a gull. The eagle flew higher and headed north, with the gull following and swooping at it the entire way. The eagle was of course much larger, but the gull had the edge on maneuverability. Once the eagle was about a half mile north, the gull retreated. The eagle hovered above the field for a few minutes, then gradually started edging back toward the pond. There is an island in the pond where gulls, ducks and geese are nesting. The eagle was clearly trying to get something there, but as it swooped down again, the gull shot back up into the air and attacked the eagle again. The gull chased it to the south, and this time the eagle stayed away for good. The last I saw it, it was circling a field about a mile to the south. I guess it decided that targeting rodents was easier than dealing with an angry mama!

PostPosted: 17 May 2010, 10:14 
Second-Sight Apprentice

Got me flowers planted this weekend and the garden is tilled and ready to plant. Should be all ready by end of the month. The robins were all over it this weekend.

PostPosted: 18 May 2010, 22:15 
Acolyte

My vegetable garden is coming along nicely. I started planting in late March. I wish I were more organized. Here it is May and I'm still acquiring and planting assorted veggies.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 13:20 
Second-Sight Apprentice

We planted this weekend. 6 of each: red tomato, yellow tomato, green pepper, yellow pepper, cucumbers, dill, zucchini, carrots and pumpkins.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2010, 19:13 
Second-Sight Apprentice

We have had three days of thunderstorms. The plants have grown literally two inches and the radishes and pumpkins are coming up.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2010, 13:16 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

Most of our stuff has started growing fairly lushly, but not the raspberries. The ones we got from the nursery are still just little thorny sticks ...

I really hate planting trees and bushes from sticks ...

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2010, 09:57 
Second-Sight Apprentice

I am going to get a 2 trash cans and make myself a rain barrels. No reason I shouldn't be collecting and watering with it. We have had six days of rain the last 10 days I would have had two barrels full.